It is a general term that indicates skin inflammation. This condition makes your skin patchy, red, and itchy. In untreated cases, it may cause blisters. It is very common in children but it can affect adults too.
Each type of eczema has their own symptoms but the most common one is atopic dermatitis.
Types of Eczema and their symptoms
There are many types of eczema which are as follows,
- Atopic dermatitis
- Contact dermatitis
- Dyshidrotic eczema
- Hand eczema
- Nummular eczema
- Stasis dermatitis
It is a common form of eczema. It is mostly present in childhood and the severity decreases or completely gone when you are an adult. Doctors describe this type is “Triad” as it comes with other two diseases like asthma and hay fever. Mostly all three conditions would be present if children are getting it.
Symptoms of atopic dermatitis are,
- The rashes are mostly formed in the knee and elbow
- Tiny bumps will be formed and get itchy. This expels fluid when you scratch it.
- Skin becomes light or dark on the affected area
- Babies will get eczema mostly in cheeks and scalps with red inflamed skin.
It happens when you have a weak skin barrier system. This weakness could be caused by your
- Dry skin
- Immuno disorder
- Environmental triggers
Allergic reactions with substance will make your skin inflamed. This is called contact dermatitis.
There are two types,
Allergic contact dermatitis is an immune disorder when you are naturally resistant to elements like metal.
Irritant contact dermatitis is when your skin gets reacted to chemical substances present in your soap, shampoo, or cosmetic products.
Symptoms of this type include
- Suddenly your skin starts to itch and becomes red
- Due to continuous scratch blisters filled with fluid will be formed
- In case of your face, bumps like hives will pop
The most common items that cause you this type are detergent, tobacco, bleach, jewelry, skincare products, etc.
It is most common in women than in men. In this condition, blisters are formed in your hands and under your feet. The main reason are when you handle stress, substances like cobalt, nickel, very wet hands, and feet.
- Cracking of skin and form flakes
- Blisters with fluid are formed in your hand, soles, toes
When your hand is only affected it is called hand eczema. It is prone to persons working in beauty parlours, health care, hairdressers, laundry as they need to handle chemicals regularly in their bare hands. This chemical reacts with your skin and forms itchy skin and bumps.
When you have any other skin condition like psoriasis or skin issues it triggers eczema. It causes dry scaly patches on your skin.
- Patches formed on arms, legs, feet, even genitals
- Patches will be very itchy and bleed when you scratch
Nummular is a Latin term meaning coin. It is caused when you accidentally have an insect bite or it triggers if you have atopic dermatitis previously.
Symptoms will be
- Round coin-shaped spots are formed on the skin
- This spots could be itchy and sometimes bleeding
People with blood flow problems in their lower legs are likely to get. As the blood flow from legs to the heart gets interrupted you will likely to get a varicose vein and it can cause this type of eczema.
- Legs will start aching when you walk
- Open sores
- Skin becomes dry and itchy
Eczema can be treated and it comes and goes in your childhood. But other than atopic, other types persist with you and you should be managing it with proper topical medicines.